Spending Full Night with Ghosts

There is a lot of experience of seeing witches (female ghosts) etc.  But I often do not mention it because I am a teacher and my aim is never to promote superstition but what to do I have experienced many mysterious incidents from time to time.  So when I am asked a question related to this, I cannot stop myself and answer as I have experienced.

The matter is around the year 1992-93.  A servant lived at our maternal grandfather's place.  His name was Karim Ullah but people used to call him Kamullah.  Kamulla's age at that time was said to be around 92-94.  It was said about them that they did not have any sond.  There was a daughter, she was married and she had died.  Kamulla was of a rustic impression but used to run even at such a young age.  I was very young at that time but I could not understand how Kamulla was running at the age of 94 and often used to run with young men and beat them in races.  I asked this question many times to the grandmothers too, but those people said that they have eaten and drank of the old times.

Kamulla often used to guard our maternal uncle's garden at night and also used to talk about the strange happenings in the garden during the night.  There was a lot of curiosity in my mind to know about the strange events, but the elders of the house did not allow me.  One day, I caught hold of my grandmother's insistence that I also have to go to the garden to see the trees and fruits.  Nani said that he came again during the day, but I said that I want to go only with Kamulla Dadu.  But the grandmother said, son, it is going on in the month of December, it is getting cold. She said that she would call my father if I keep on insisting to go. At that time landline calls were the only phones to be booked.  I got scared when I heard my father's name.  But Nana Ji said that Karim is a responsible man, so no need to worry but ask Karim to bring him here with you before it gets dark.

Nani refused a little but agreed upon the request of Nana ji and said that in any case, bring him here before the evening prayer and you go to the garden later.  Kamulla took me to the garden on foot.  After walking for about two and a half kilometres, my condition worsened but there was no effect on Kamulla.  Now when I roamed the garden spread over 35 bighas, I lost all my courage.  Now Kamulla said, come back home, I said that my body no longer knows that I can walk so much on the bumpy road.  I made a weeping look and lay down on the ground in the garden with the help of a tree.  Now Kamulla roared very loudly - "What has gone mad! Stupid! Will the snake cut itself with a scorpion. Come on! Was very stubborn to roam the garden••••" I stood up very hard, so Kamulla was a little soft  Said to - "Good son, do this, you take rest for a while. I have a cottage in the garden nearby, lie down there for a while wearing a blanket and then reach home early, everyone will be getting worried because it is going to be dark in half an hour."  And we have to arrive early.

I liked this proposal. I thought why not take rest for a while. I immediately got ready and in the cottage I saw water in a pitcher, three or four boxes of  matches on a wooden stool.  Some fruits and a knife were kept in a plate in the corner.  I also felt a little hungry, so I ate some fruits and drank water.  Straw was spread on the ground and on top of it was a bed and pillow.  I didn't feel the need to think about anything else. Lie quietly on the bed and covered my eyes with a blanket.  It was just now that I woke up reluctantly, rubbing my eyes with the feeling of twitching of Dadu, then against the expectation, Dadu said with great love, I do not think it good to wake anyone up from sleeping, but there is a compulsion, everyone is upset at home.  Will be happening  It's dark now, let's go home.  I got up immediately.  It was really dark.

Kamulla Dadu took the torch in his hand and locked the hut.  And we started walking back.  It must have been 40- 50 steps now that it started raining lightly.  Even though I was wearing a muffler and a cap, he tied his gamcha around my ears and head.  I was getting very scared in the dark of night.  And I was cursing in my mind that no ghost was seen in the garden but I had to parade so unnecessarily.  Kamulla Dadu had sensed my fear.  He is talking to me very lovingly.  He said - "Look son! If you are afraid, then don't be afraid at all! This is my daily commute. I am alone enough for the rogue goons. And again and again by showing the light of the torch, he would say-"  You can see two kilometers away, do you feel dark?

We kept walking while talking and we realized when the drizzle had turned into rain.  It was no longer possible to walk on the rough road.  Till now we had walked about 500-600 steps.  And home was still far away.  We decided to stop there among some bushes.  It must have been only 10-15 minutes that Dadu thought for some time and said that if it rains more heavily on the way, what will happen now, still it is a lucky thing.   We go back to the hut  because we have not come very far.  I'll light some fire etcetera.  You rest there at night, we will go home in the morning.  We started going back to the cottage.  We must have walked only 300-400 steps now that the rain had stopped completely.  I looked at Dadu again and asked what to do now Dadu, now the rain has stopped but Dadu said - "Son, nothing to do now, now you have to rest. I don't care but you are very tired now take rest."  And don't worry about the house, you will not get any scolding. Now after a while we had reached the cottage. I was very tired in this journey.

Kamulla Dadu lit the fire by lighting the wood lying in the corner.  Me and Dadu warmed our hands and feet.  He heated rotis and vegetables with him on the same fire.  I was not hungry at all but I ate a little hot food which I liked very much.  Then both of us also drank hot tea in Kullad.  Now Dadu said son, now you prepare to sleep.  I said and you dadu? he said - "Son, my duty is to guard the garden, not sleep, and after coming here I take some rest. And yes today I will stay here in this hut because you are staying here."  When I began to lie down to sleep, Kamulla Dadu said, son, listen to one important thing before sleeping.  First of all, don't extinguish this lantern but it will be a disaster.  And the second thing is that if you ever open your eyes in the middle of the night and you hear anything, don't say anything but try to sleep and if you can't sleep, keep calm and don't remove this blanket from your mouth, but it will be a disaster.  It is possible  It's just a matter of few hours.

I assured them and thought in my mind that there must be a voice of jackal etc. in the forest, so Dadu is saying that I should not be afraid.  When I started lying on the bed, I saw Dadu making a circular circle around the bed with wood.  I asked what are you doing, he said that it is a trick so that no one can come near you in your sleep.  Hearing this, I laughed and said - "What do you also do Dadu! Who can come here with you?"  After that Dadu said good night to me and I was lost in the pleas of sleep in no time.

I don't know, maybe at some point of the night my eyes opened due to the noise.  It seemed that 15-20 people were gathered in the hut and were doing great hustle.  I became alert but remained calm as told by Dadu.  The voice of 8-10 people was coming from them - "Manas smell, Manas smell, Manas smell! When I raised a little corner of the blanket, my soul trembled. The faces of four or five wonderful creatures were clearly visible in the light of the lantern.  It seemed as if it was completely dark, they could be seen. They were quarreling with Dadu and saying - "Oye Ghaseete (dragged)!  You cheated us today.  The platoon waited for you on the well, Manas Gandh Manas Gandh Manas Gandh!" Dadu's voice came - "Betaal ( a kind of ghost) you can't understand even a little that this boy is lying here and I have been given the responsibility to look after him". Suddenly, two or three strange creatures rushed towards me then dadu shouted-  " Oye Tiprau!  Ratti dekh leyo burning flesh lothda jai bhasma ho jawan" I kept listening to all these conversations with my heart, nothing special came to my understanding, just understood that Dadu stopped all of them from growing near me.

Then ten sat on one side and ten on the other side and like a chess, taking out a board with mines said - "Come on Ghaseete (dragged)! Jaiyun mai ta, nopa tuna beshi ok maa!"  I didn't have anything to think.  I saw that they werr putting an ivory-like object on both sides of their teeth with their companions, which was making their faces more scary.  They made Dadu sit in the middle and one of them grabbed Dadu's hair and pulled it down hard, it seemed that the front face along with Dadu's hair had been pulled along with the skin.Now what do I see that in place of Dadu, a twenty-one year old young man of the exact form of Dadu is sitting, who has elephant-like teeth on both sides of his face, after seeing so much, nothing was seen or heard from me further.

As it was morning.  We left for home, neither did Kamulla Dadu say anything on the way nor did I ask any question.  After reaching home I had a very high fever and lay in bed for months.  It took me about six months to recover after a lot of treatment.  In the meantime Kamulla Dadu also died.  And with his death this secret was also buried.  Whenever I mentioned this incident to my parents and sisters, they kept saying that I must have seen some terrible dream in my sleep, it must have affected my mind.  Please give a comment and tell me what was all that??????

Comments

Anonymous said…
good story